With individuals living longer, we frequently find ourselves in the position of caregiver for elderly or incapacitated individuals. Whether you’re caring for an incapacitated or elderly spouse, an elderly parent, or even a child, understanding potential tax advantages can relieve some of the financial burden associated with being a caregiver. The following are some tax aspects of taking on the care of an elderly or incapacitated individual.

Dependency exemption – You may be able to claim the cared-for individual as your dependent, thus qualifying for an exemption deduction. To qualify:

  • You(1) must provide more than 50% of the individual’s support costs,
  • The individual must either live with you or be related,
  • The individual must not have gross income in excess of the exemption amount ($3,900 for 2013),
  • The individual must not file a joint return for the year (unless neither spouse would have a tax liability if separate returns were filed and the joint return is filed only to claim a refund), and
  • The individual must be a U.S. citizen or a resident of the U.S., Canada, or Mexico.

    (1) If the support test can only be met by a group (several children, for example, combining to support a parent), a “multiple support agreement” form can be filed to grant one of the group members the exemption, subject to certain conditions.

Medical expenses – If the cared-for individual qualifies as your dependent or medical dependent (2), you can include any medical expenses you incur for the individual along with your own when determining your medical deduction.

Amounts paid to a nursing home are fully deductible as a medical expense if the principal reason that a person stays at the nursing home is medical in nature, as opposed to custodial or other care. If a person is not in the nursing home principally to receive medical care, only the portion of the fee that is allocable to actual medical care qualifies as a deductible medical expense. However, if the individual is chronically ill(3), all of the individual’s qualified long-term care services, including maintenance or personal care services, are deductible.

(2) A medical dependent is an individual who doesn’t qualify as your dependent only because of the gross income or joint return test; you can still include these medical costs with your own. 
(3) A chronically ill individual is one certified by a physician or other licensed healthcare practitioner (e.g., nurse or social worker) as unable to perform, without substantial assistance, at least two activities of daily living for at least 90 days due to a loss of functional capacity, or as requiring substantial supervision for protection due to severe cognitive impairment (e.g., memory loss or disorientation). Of course, a person with Alzheimer’s disease qualifies.

Filing status – If you aren’t married, you may qualify for “head of household” status by virtue of the cared-for individual. If the cared-for individual: (a) lives in your household, (b) you pay more than half of the household costs, (c) the individual qualifies as your dependent, and (d) the individual is a relative, you can claim head of household filing status. If the person you’re caring for is your parent, he or she does not need to live with you as long as you provide more than half of your parent’s household costs and he or she qualifies as your dependent. For example, if a parent is confined to a nursing home and you pay more than half of the cost, you are considered as maintaining the principal home for your parent.

Household employee issues – If you hire individuals to help you care for an elderly or incapacitated individual in your home, you must treat them as employees, issue them a W-2 form, and withhold and remit certain payroll taxes to the IRS and your state. If you use a service company that sends its employees to provide care services, the service company will handle the payroll issue for these employees, relieving you of that responsibility. If you plan to hire help, please call this office to discuss your options in more detail.

Dependent care credit – If the cared-for individual qualifies as your dependent, lives with you, and physically or mentally cannot take care of him or herself, you may qualify for the dependent care credit for costs you incur for this individual’s care to enable you and your spouse to go to work. However, the same expense cannot be used as both a medical expense deduction and for the dependent care credit.

If you experience financial difficulties in funding the care, the tax code provides some specialized relief as described below. Generally, these forms of relief should be considered only when no other reasonable alternatives exist.

Reverse mortgage as alternative to nursing home – It is often desirable for an elderly person to remain in his or her own home with proper in-home care rather than entering a nursing home. A reverse mortgage loan may make this a feasible alternative to a nursing home. If this approach is taken, don’t forget that household help is deductible in the same manner as nursing home expenses. In addition, household employees must be paid by payroll.

Exclusion for payments under life insurance contracts – Any lifetime payments received under a life insurance contract on the life of a person who is either terminally or chronically ill are excluded from gross income. A similar exclusion applies to the sale or assignment of a life insurance contract to a person who regularly buys or takes assignments of such contracts and meets other qualifying standards.

The tax benefits and regulations related to caring for someone are complicated. If you are a caregiver and would like to discuss your situation and options further, please call our office.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply