If your entire family is moving to the same address and each member has the same last name, you need to fill out only one Change of Address Order form. For all other cases, each individual moving must fill out a separate form. Click here to enter the USPS Website online Change of Address Order Form where you can fill-in and submit your change of address through the Internet.

When To Submit Change of Address Form – Submit the change of address at least 15 days before you move, or as soon as you know your new address and the date of your move. The post office will forward your mail to the new address beginning on the “Start Date” you specified on the Change of Address Order form. Once the Change of Address is submitted, the Postal Service will send a confirmation letter to your old address, regardless of the date of your move.

If you file your change of address form timely, you should begin receiving forwarded mail at your new address within three to five days from the indicated “Start Date”.

Duration of Forwarding Order – All mail including First-Class, Priority, and Express Mail will be forwarded for 12 months at no charge, except for mail marked “Do Not Forward.” Periodicals (second-class) will be forwarded for 60 days at no charge. This includes newspapers and magazines. Generally third-class mail such as circulars, books, catalogs, and advertising mail will not be forwarded. Parcel Post Packages will be forwarded locally for 12 months at no charge. Forwarding charges will be assessed if forwarded outside the local area. This includes packages weighing 16 ounces or more not mailed as Priority Mail.

Magazine & Publisher Notification – You should let all publishers and other business mailers know at least four to six weeks before you move. Follow the publisher’s change of address instructions and those noted on billing statements you receive.

Notification Postcards – At least 30 days before you move, notify everyone of your new address and the date of your move. Many bills and statements have an area for making an address change notification. You can obtain free Notification Postcards (Form 3576) from your post office.

Mail with an Endorsement “Do Not Forward” – For permanent moves, mail marked “Do Not Forward” is returned to the sender along with your new address information. However, if your move is only “temporary” (you’ll be returning home in less than 12 months), this mail is returned to the sender without your new address information. Therefore, temporary movers need to notify their mailers directly to inform them of their new address.

Share this article…
0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply