EINs: Change Contact and Responsible Party Information in 60 Days

  • Learn how to update responsibilities and contact information.
  • Find out how this information can protect you from ID theft and fraud issues.
  • Learn how to determine your responsible party.
  • Discover filing tips.
  • Find out why it’s important to update individual contact information as well.

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) (and Fiducial!) is reminding entities with Employer Identification Numbers (EINs) of their responsibility to update that information whenever the contact information or responsible party changes. IRS regulations require EIN holders to update responsible party information within 60 days of any change. Notifying the IRS of those changes is easily accomplished by filing Form 8822-B, Change of Address or Responsible Party – Business. Fiducial has more information on this important topic below!

A key security issue

The IRS is urging entities with EINs to update their applications if there has been a change in the responsible party or contact information. Having accurate information is critical in cases of identity theft or other fraud issues related to EINs or business accounts.

According to the IRS, the data around the “responsible parties” for business-type entities is often outdated or incorrect. This means that the IRS does not have accurate records of who to contact for identity theft issues. This results in a time-consuming process to identify the point of contact so the IRS can inquire about a suspicious tax filing.

It is estimated that there are approximately 100,000 EIN holders where it appears the responsible party information is outdated. The IRS is planning a mail campaign to these EIN holders in August.

Entities with EINs: Who is your responsible party?

Generally, a responsible party is the individual (that is, a natural person) who ultimately owns or controls the entity or who exercises ultimate effective control over the entity. The person identified as the responsible party should have a level of control over, or entitlement to, the funds or assets in the entity that, as a practical matter, enables the person, directly or indirectly, to control, manage, or direct the entity and the disposition of its funds and assets.

  • Tax-exempt organizations – the responsible party is generally the same as the “principal officer” as defined in Form 990 instructions.
  • Trusts – the responsible party is a grantor, owner, or trustor.
  • Decedent estates – the responsible party is the executor, administrator, personal representative, or other fiduciary.
  • For publicly traded entities and government entities, see the instructions with form SS-4 – Application for Employer Identification Number (EIN).

Helpful Tips

Here are some tips for completing the 8822-B (used by businesses):

  • P.O. Box – Enter your box number instead of your street address only if your post office does not deliver mail to your street address.
  • Foreign Address – Follow the country’s practice for entering the postal code. Do not abbreviate the country name.
  • “In Care of” Address – If you receive your mail in care of a third party (such as an accountant or attorney), enter “C/O” followed by the third party’s name and street address or P.O. box.
  • Signature – An officer, owner, general partner or LLC member manager, plan administrator, fiduciary, or an authorized representative must sign. An officer is a president, vice president, treasurer, chief accounting officer, etc. If you are a representative signing on behalf of the responsible party, you must attach to Form 8822-B a copy of your power of attorney. To do this, you can use Form 2848. The Internal Revenue Service will not complete an address or responsible party change from an “unauthorized” third party.
  • See the instructions for filing Form 8822-B which are included with the form.

Changing business and personal information

If you need to change both the business and personal contact information, use Form 8822 to change your home address. Although the IRS will automatically update their records to match a taxpayer’s most recent tax filing, it is wise to file Form 8822 to make sure you receive any correspondence from the IRS since the IRS is only required to mail correspondence to your last known address.

If you have a state filing obligation, you should also notify the appropriate state agencies of the changes.

After you file either the 8822-B or Form 8822, please forward a copy to your Fiducial representative so we can update your file. If you need assistance, call Fiducial at 1-866-FIDUCIAL or make an appointment at one of our office locations to discuss your situation.

Ready to book an appointment now? Click here. Know someone who might need our services? We love referrals!

For more small business COVID-19 resources, visit Fiducial’s Coronavirus Update Center to find information on SBA loans, tax updates, the Paycheck Protection Program, paid sick and family leave.