On December 22, 2017, The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act was signed into law. The information in this article predates the tax reform legislation and may not apply to tax returns starting in the 2018 tax year. You may wish to speak to your tax advisor about the latest tax law. This publication is provided for your convenience and does not constitute legal advice. This publication is protected by copyright.

The following are recommended actions for victims of identity theft:

    • Contact the fraud departments of the three major credit bureaus. Ask to have your credit file flagged with a fraud alert that includes a statement asking creditors to call you before opening new accounts in your name.
    • Contact all creditors by phone and in writing to inform them of the problem.
    • Call your local police and the nearest U.S. Postal Inspection Service to report the crime.
    • Keep a log of all your contacts with creditors and authorities and make copies of all documents.
    • Contact the state office of the Department of Motor Vehicles to learn whether another driver’s license was issued in your name.
    • Contact the IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit at 800-908-4490 right away so steps can be taken to secure your tax account and match your SS, and fill out the IRS Identity Theft Affidavit, Form 14039, available on the IRS web site at If your state has an income tax, also advise your state tax agency that your identity has been stolen.
    • Report incidents of identity theft to the Federal Trade Commission at or the FTC Identity Theft hotline at 877-438-4338 or TTY 866-653-4261.
0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply